Ever since 1987 when Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) introduced the very first ATM in India, ATMs use has become a very important factor for the banking industry and people also.
The first ATM in India was established in Andheri East, Mumbai.
The concept of an ATM brought a major relief and convenience for people when it comes to carrying cash, but with time ATMs are used for various purposes and ATMs now have much more advanced features and technology which make our daily life easy.
The first ATM was set up in England in June of 1967 by Barclays Bank. The very first ATMs were designed such that users could dispense a fixed amount of cash when a specially coded card was inserted or some used paper voucher that had radioactive ink printed on it, However by 1972 the first modern ATM came into use.
Early ATMs had a lot of issues like, they were prone to theft, most of the ATMs were large and bulky and suffered frequent breakdowns also in the ATM which used special coins were difficult to manage. The increasing use and popularity of ATMs encouraged the banks to implement more services and for engineering to improve the technology.
Nowadays today’s are much more advanced and can be considered as a mini bank. You can find ATMs at almost every corner of your city and currently there are more than 3 million ATMs worldwide.
The technology used in ATMs is nowadays also used in movie tickets, stamps, dispensing items, etc.
So, let us look at various components of ATM –
Components can be divided into two parts –
- Input Devices
- Output Devices
Input device consists of card reader and keypad –
- Card Reader – It reads data from a card. The information is usually your account number and the magnetic strip on the back of the card.
- Keypad – After the card data has been read keypad use comes into the picture. It is used to take input like PIN, withdrawn amount, etc.
Output devices of ATM are speaker, display screen, receipt printer and cash dispenser mainly
- Speaker – It gives audio feedback when a certain key is pressed.
- Display Screen – It is an LCD or CRD screen which gives information about balance transactions, etc. It also guides about what to do if you want to get used to the desired functionality.
- Receipt Printer – It gives the details of the transaction like – amount withdrawn, date, time, remaining balance, etc.
- Cash dispenser – It can be considered the heart of the ATM. This is the portion from where the user collects the cash. It counts the bills and gives the required amount. Various high precision sensors carry out the operation.
Now let us see the advantages and features of ATM –
- Easy to access as they are available outside most of the banks and at public places as well
- Provides 24×7 service
- ATM is very safe and secured
- Useful when travelling
- Gives money very quickly
- Reduces workload of bank staff
You can also deposit money and no need to go to the bank
- Transfer funds between linked banks accounts
- Balance amount in the account/card
- Prints the recent transaction list
- You can change your ATM pin
- Cash deposit
- Recharge of prepaid sim cards
- Cash withdrawal
- Bill payments
- Also, change your mobile number
The last feature mentioned might sound very strange and most of you might not be aware of this functionality of ATMs, but it is very useful and it is also very secure and safe to carry out the operation.
Most of the banks provide this feature and there is no need to go to the bank and wait in a long queue, for this task done.
Now let us see some banks which provide this very useful and unique feature to their customers –
SBI ATM – State Bank of India(SBI) is a very popular bank and provides it’s with advanced features and one of the features is changing the mobile number from ATM the steps required for the same are –
- Visit SBI ATM insert your card then go to the “Registration” option
- Enter the PIN and click on “Update mobile number”
- Now enter both the numbers(old and the new) then click “Confirm”.
- You will receive OTP on both numbers
- Now you have to send both the OTP and reference number to 567676 within a few hours.
- Within a few days, you will receive a call from the customer care center to confirm the reference number and then you are completed.
Another major bank that provides the same facility is Axis Bank, the steps are. –
- Insert the card and enter the PIN.
- Select the “Registration” option
- Now select “Update Mobile Number”.
- You will now see a message on the screen saying that your account has registered with Axis bank and would you like to update your mobile number? Please select the “Update” option.
- Enter the mobile number
- Re-enter the mobile number
- Now you have done.
This process is a little simpler and easier than the previous and one done quickly
Another popular bank that provides this facility is HDFC Bank. Steps are –
- Insert your card and PIN.
- Click on the main menu
- Then click on “More Options”
- Now select “Update Mobile Number”
- Enter the new mobile number and click “Confirm”
- Re-Enter the number and click “Confirm” again.
- Enter the PIN and then the request can processed.
- After approximately 24 hrs you receive the confirmation message
ICICI Bank also provides this service and the steps involved are –
- Insert your card and PIN
- From the menu select the More Service option
- Click on “Register Mobile Number”
- Enter the new number
- Re-enter the new number
- You will see a message of confirmation.
- your number updated, Within 2 working days.
There are several other banks like Kotak Mahindra Bank, Bank of Baroda, etc which provide this facility but these are some of the major banks with the service. The steps and processes involved for other banks are almost the same but you can go to the official website and see the detailed steps. It will take around 1 week, for the mobile number to changed.
Hope these features make your task easy when you have to change your mobile number.
Now there is no need to visit the bank and stand in the long queue to get this done.
This also reduces the paperwork involved.